To find out if ZOSTAVAX is right for you, talk to your health care professional as soon as possible.
If you’ve ever had chickenpox you could get Shingles at any time. Here are some things you can do now.
Talk to your health care professional about Shingles.
Get some helpful questions about Shingles.
Learn about Shingles and ZOSTAVAX.
Sign up to get more Shingles vaccine information.
Let your friends and family know about Shingles.
Spread the word about Shingles and Shingles pain.
Many insurance policies cover ZOSTAVAX (Zoster Vaccine Live).
Find out if the Shingles vaccine may be covered by insurance.
ZOSTAVAX is a vaccine used for adults 50 years of age or older to prevent Shingles (also known as zoster).
Important Safety Information
- ZOSTAVAX does not protect everyone, so some people who get the vaccine may still get Shingles.
- You should not get ZOSTAVAX if you are allergic to any of its ingredients, including gelatin or neomycin, have a weakened immune system, take high doses of steroids, or are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. You should not get ZOSTAVAX to prevent chickenpox.
- Talk to your health care professional if you plan to get ZOSTAVAX (Zoster Vaccine Live) at the same time as PNEUMOVAX®23 (Pneumococcal Vaccine Polyvalent) because it may be better to get these vaccines at least 4 weeks apart.
- Possible side effects include redness, pain, itching, swelling, hard lump, warmth, or bruising at the injection site, as well as headache.
- ZOSTAVAX (Zoster Vaccine Live) contains a weakened chickenpox virus. Tell your health care professional if you will be in close contact with newborn infants, someone who may be pregnant and has not had chickenpox or been vaccinated against chickenpox, or someone who has problems with their immune system. Your health care professional can tell you what situations you may need to avoid.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
To view PDF documents, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer.